A household campaign may imply a combination of lighting checks plus consumer survey in order to address rational arguments (i.e. energy saving) and emotional arguments (i.e. attitudes, preceptions of light).
Such a campaign would in total contain the following steps:
- Implementation of lighting checks to assess energy saving potentials in private households plus conducting socio-economic interviews (consumer survey) to get households’ attitudes as well as knowledge to their current lighting situation.
- Replacement of conventional light bulbs by energy saving lamps.
- Evaluation of the households’ experiences (satisfaction) with the energy efficient light
The socio-economic interviews at the beginning (Step 1) and the evaluation interviews at the end (Step 3) are subject to the consumer survey.
Objective of a consumer survey
- the degree of knowledge of the household to „energy efficient lighting“, in particular with regard to CFL,
- if biases and/or anxieities exist to adopt CFLs as well as barriers that prevent the use of CFL so far,
- the behaviour of households with regard to lighting,
- experiences with the “new light” (Step 3) (experiences, changes, perceptions, impressions).
The scope of work
As part of Step 1, socio-economic interviews shall be conductedin order to assess the present degree of awareness of households for the subject of energy efficient lighting. The interviews will be carried out at the same time as technical lighting checks will be realized.
In subsequent to the interviews, the HH will be provided with energy saving lamps (CFL).
Approximately x weeks after the provision of the CFLs, an evaluation interview (Step 3) is envisaged with the same HH.
The assignment implies the following work tasks:
- Introduction into the questionnaire and aim of the questionnaire by XXX
- Selection of xx students (sociology or equivalent, experience in research/interviewing is a must) for training
- Conducting training course for xx students in interviewing
- combining class-room training for interviewing (implies: rules for interviewing, introduction into the questionnaire and
- understanding of each question, make sure the understanding with regard to energy efficient lighting and CFL), and
- practical training while pre-testing of the questionnaire:
- pre-testing: students conduct each 2 interviews,
- in subsequent: analysis of the interviewing problems and challenges with questions;
- review how questions work;
- adaptation of questionnaire accordingly.
- Final selection and contracting of xx students for the realization of the interviews based on their training performance.
- Stand-by supervision during the interviews: i.e. the students are supposed to hand in the filled questionnaires to the supervisor every evening; he will cross-check appropriateness in order to fulfil the amount of xxx valid HH interviews (valid = duly filled, reasonable answers to be cross-checked); stand-by by phone if questions arise
- Initial interviews (in tandem with technical students) in A (xx HH), B (xx HH) and C (xx HH) (questionnaire consists of 9 pages)
- Evaluation interviews n A (xx HH), B (xx HH) and C (xx HH) (questionnaire consists of 4-5 pages)
- Tandem-implementation with Mrs. XXX (University of XXX) has to be arranged (Step 1 will be implemented in tandem with students from electrical engineering who will do a lighting check at the same time the herewith described initial interviews shall be done); this will also include to build up mixed teams in terms of sex. Date for the interviews: 3.-10.7.2010
- Data entry into SPSS matrices (xxx valid HH interviews for Step 1, xx valid interviews for Step 3) (2 separate SPSS matrices which can be merged for analysis)
- SPSS Analysis
- Report writing, structure as follows:
- Background to the study (brief)
- Methodical Approach of the study
- Sample Description
- (incl. demographic data, general living conditions)
- Initial socio-economic interviews
- The lighting situation in the households
- Purchase decisions for lighting equipment
- Information Sources & present knowledge to CFL
- Experiences of Households using CFL already
- General Sensitization with regard to Energy Efficiency
- The lighting situation in the households with the CFL
- Experiences of the Households with the CFL
- Major Changes: before-after comparison
- Effects of the campaign & effective incentives for CFL in Kosovo
- Recommendations to applied methodical approach of the study
- Filled Questionnaires
- Original Questionnaires in English and Kosovo-Albanian
- Filled SPSS data files
- Original SPSS data files
- The questionnaires and the SPSS data matrices for the interviews will be provided, both is to be adapted according to the pre-testing.
- Adaptations of the questionnaire, and in the following first draft reports are to be communicated with XXX for discussion and approval.
- As the evaluation questionnaire is based on questions from the initial interview questionnaire; there is no additional training for the students necessary
- All of the above mentioned results have to be outlined in a written report by the contractor. The language of the report is English. The report has to be handed in electronically (Word for Windows) as well as in a printed format (threefold) and is due by calendar week xx.