► Back to the Main Page
About The Platform
Recently many events with regards to building constructions have taken place in Ulaanbaatar. After participating and reviewing these events and involved stakeholders, I draw the conclusion, that there are many projects ongoing or planned to be implemented referring to buildings.
I would like to initiate an information exchange amongst involved projects in order to share information (data, planned actions, rumours, etc.) and coordinate activities.
Based on my information, the following projects and institutions (in alphabetical order) are currently active and supported by international institutions:
- ADB is involved in the “Ulaanbaatar Affordable Housing and Urban Renewal Project” that also includes green building aspects as well as energy efficiency and many more
- EBRD is involved within the “Scaling up private sector climate finance through local financial institutions (GCF-EBRD SEFF co-financing Programme)”. Mongolia is one of the eligible countries and could have access to finance in the area of “Buildings, cities and industries and appliances (E.g. new and retrofitted energy-efficient buildings, energy-efficient equipment for companies and supply chain management, etc.)”
- GERES is working on Innovative technical solutions to extend the growing season (passive solar greenhouses) and has supported the dissemination of passive solar greenhouses
- GGGI is implementing a project by accomplishing activities such as developing national Action Plans for Green Energy and Energy Efficient Building or developing demonstration plans for energy efficient public kindergartens
- IFC has conducted a workshop on “Enhancing Green Buildings in Mongolia” and provided information on the EDGE software
- GIZ is implementing on behalf of the German government and co-financed by the Swiss Development Cooperation a project in the area of energy efficiency and is also targeting buildings and retrofitting of public buildings
- GIZ is implementing a regional programme called NEXUS and is supporting the development of a master plan for Ulaanbaatar to move towards a 100 % renewable energy resource based energy supply
- UNDP is implementing the project “Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions in the Construction Sector in Mongolia” (2017 – 2020)
- UNICEF is providing within the scope of WASH opportunities to add benefits considering sanitation aspects.
- WRI and ICLEI are owner of the “Building efficiency accelerator”. The UB Municipality has recently joined this initiative that could contribute towards the project preparation and carry out initial energy auditing for residential buildings.
- WUSC/uniterra is supporting the initiation of a council for sustainable, green and energy efficient construction sector.
Apart of the ongoing project there are many past or accomplished projects that might be valuable for ongoing or planned projects:
- CDIA supported activities including a) Pre-feasibility study on energy efficient retrofitting of pre-cast panel apartment buildings in the city to enhance environmental benefits reduce energy consumption costs and CO2 emissions, improve living conditions of low income groups; b) Linkage of the Pre-feasibility study with potential financiers including possible CDM financing to support future up-scaling; c) Assist the city to plan any institutional strengthening related to the project implementation; d) CDM Baseline study (financed separately by ADB).
- GIZ has accomplished two phases of a project called “Integrated urban development” and a project on thermos-technical retrofitting of public school buildings in Ulaanbaatar
- UNDP has been involved into a project, called “Building Energy Efficiency Project”
- PAGE (in the area of building) is working under the leadership of the Ministry of Construction and Urban Development, PAGE is supporting the development of green building codes and policies in Mongolia, to be applied to new education buildings constructed with public funds. In 2015, PAGE supported the drafting of guidelines for green school buildings. The support for Mongolia will be finished by end of 2017.
| Renewable energy
|| For all projects dealing or including aspects in regard to energy generation/supply based on renewable resources (wind, solar, water, geothermal, biogas, biomass).
| Fighting pollution
|| For all projects fighting any pollution such as air, soil, water, etc.
|| For all projects that are introducing technolgies, improving technologies or contributing to the norms, standards and regulation to support the implementation of new technologies.
| Building improvment
|| These projects contributing to improve exisiting buildings, either by providing technical or financial assistance or both.
| New construction
|| These projects supporting activities in reagard to new buildings either by providing technical or financial assistance or both.
| Reducing emission
|| As a result of the intervention of the respective projects the emission reduction should be quantifiable. The word 'emission' covers all GHG, noise, heat, and radiation. Furthermore reducing emission and particularly GHG emission contribute to climate change mitigation.
|| For all projects containing activities to shape the financing landscape in the construction sector. This covers public and private financing mechanism.
| Community development
|| For all projects that are involving the community and/or encouraging the community to demand improvements and mitigate the negative impacts of urbanisation. In addition projects shall activly support the communication amongst the community as well as encoruringing participation.
| Efficient use of resources
|| For all projects that are targeting the efficient use of energy. This includes electricity, heat and other energies as well as other resources such as water.
| Business development
|| For all projects that are introducing new business models or contributing to the norms, standards and regulation to support the implementation of business models. This includes ESCO models or PPP.
|| For all projects that supporting Mongolia to collect data on emissions, mitigation actions and support, to compile this information in reports and inventories, and to subject these to some form of international review or analysis.
| Capacity development
|| For all projects that provide capacity building measures to individual and/or strenghten an organisation